Monday 27 June 2011

Less than a week to go now and a rant about midges

I feel a bit like I'm in limbo this week. I've spent so long doing the planning and the training for my walk that now it's almost here I feel a bit lost. I just want to get going and get on with it. I'm still slightly terrified but I've always been one to face nerves head on and get whatever it was that was making me nervous over and done with.

The maps are bought - thanks Al!
The gear has all been tested and retested.
The accommodation is all booked and the flight to Manchester arranged.
Transport home is sorted too so ther's nothing else to do.

I've had a manic couple of weeks getting up to date with ceremonies and tying up all of the loose ends so that I'm not behind when I get back so now I'm at a loose end myself.

The weather here has been atrocious - very wet, very warm and very midge infested. In fact if you look up the definition of 'midge infested' in the dictionary it has my address right there. People don't think you get midges away from the west coast of Scotland but I challenge them to come here tonight and sit on my deck.

I hate them with a vengeance - napalm is too good for them!!!! Yes I know they're part of the ecosystem and getting rid of them would have a knock on effect on other species but at this point in time I'd happily trade cute puppies and fluffy kittens for midges...or were these not the species in question? Make me an offer - I can't, off the top of my head think of any species that I'd not happily lose in exchange for exterminating midges.

Millions of the little biting blighters in your ears, your nose and your eyes. Avon skin so soft slows them down a bit but you need industrial quantities to make a difference here. Guess why I'm doing the Pennine Way and not the West Highland Way? Right first time - no Scottish midges!

Midge rant over, night night
X

1 comment:

  1. Just reading your post has started me off scratching my hair... I hate the little devils.

    Have a great time; its a splendid walk. (Smart move not carrying all that heavy camping gear.)

    ReplyDelete